- See this guide for most of the available email functionality (head to https://discuss.cs.uchicago.edu/my/preferences/emails to change your email settings):
- If you’d like to receive (email) notifications about topics in a particular category, you can add them in the the appropriate section at https://discuss.cs.uchicago.edu/my/preferences/categories (also, see Discourse New User Guide - faq - Discourse Meta).
- You can start a new topic in most categories by email. For example, to post a new topic in the #general category, send an email to email@example.com. The incoming email IDs are quite intuitive and can be found by going to a category page and hovering over the envelope icon on the top-right (you can also just click the icon to open your mail client):
- If you would like to use an email ID different from your UChicago email ID, consider adding Alternate Email(s) by going to https://discuss.cs.uchicago.edu/my/preferences/account
- @cduck helpfully pointed out that one of his concerns is the publicly available basic user stats. One way around that is to use the Hide my public profile and presence features setting at https://discuss.cs.uchicago.edu/my/preferences/interface. Another thing to be aware of is that if you are primarily using this forum over email (as most users who only read the summary emails) as described on this guide, most of the displayed stats are inaccurate and should not be a cause for concern.
This is a wiki, please feel free to edit and improve.