#SeeThroughStigma Week 2019

Hello,

My name is Mahy El-Shikh and I am the volunteer coordinator of Axis UChicago, a community of allies dedicated to bringing disability-related discussion, advocacy, and community service to the University of Chicago and the Chicagoland area. Every year, we partner with Active Minds, a mental health and awareness organization on campus, to host #SeeThroughStigma Week, which is an entire week of programming dedicated to unraveling the stigma surrounding mental health and disability. It will be held during the 4th week of Winter Quarter, January 28th-February 1st, 2019. This year, we will be collaborating with Peer Health Advocates (PHA) to host a mental health and wellbeing workshop, organizing a social media panel event, hosting an ASL workshop, collaborating with Graduate Recruitment Initiative Team (GRIT) on a documentary showing (Road to Río) and discussion, continuing the polaroid project, and finally, hosting our annual Arts Coffeehouse (with a Robust Coffee-catered pancake and donut breakfast)!

We invite you to attend and participate in our events throughout the week (all of our events will be open to the public). More information can be found on our Facebook page and website. In addition, we would be grateful if you could share this information anyone you think may be interested.

See Through Stigma Week Website: See Through Stigma Week | Stigma Awareness Week 2018

See Through Stigma Week Facebook page: Facebook

The events calendar, which can also be found on the STS website, and the flyers for the Arts Coffeehouse have been attached to this email!

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions/concerns or would like to request additional accommodations.

Thank you for your time, and we look forward to seeing you there!

Sincerely,
Mahy El-Shikh
Volunteer Coordinator of Axis

Thanks Mahy, this looks like an awesome program.

Tuesday is an urgent topic which has certainly touched my own family.

Love the Polaroid Project. Reminds me a little of my photographer girlfriend Yuxin’s work with a flip phone for our project #ShotonflipPhone (Instagram coming soon). Reckon she’ll wanna take part.

Laurence

You do realize Mahy can’t see your response, right? I just quote-posted the email Mahy distributed to a mailing list that I am part of.

May be, you should write her an email instead and also tell her about Discourse, would be a huge help!