Some resource for PhD students with child

I am a Ph.D. student in CS Department and a new father. I know that it can be challenging to find out campus/state resources for a new parent, moreover an international student like me. So I want to share some resources that I’ve been using or knew from my friends.

All Kids insurance from Illinois

All Kids is medicaid benefits from Illinois government for people under certain income threshold (ironically, a Ph.D. student is). This benefit also applies to a non-US citizen. This is my second year getting that benefit for my baby. More information here: About All Kids
You can self-apply through https://abe.illinois.gov/

Yearly Child Care Stipend

The University of Chicago offers need-based, annual childcare stipends in the amount of $2,000 per year to eligible Ph.D. student applicants. Note that you need to apply to get this benefit. Applications for the annual stipend are accepted quarterly and the deadline is 5:00 p.m. CST on the first Friday of the quarter (i.e., June 22, 2018, October 5, 2018, January 11, 2019, and April 5, 2019). This year, I miss out the June deadline, so I only get $1,500 to cover the next 3 quarters. I’m attaching the announcement email that I got here :point_right: The University of Chicago Mail - PhD Child Care Stipend Application.pdf (207.6 KB)

StudentParent Mailing list

This is a useful mailing list to talk with other student-parents, find out more resources for parents, looking, selling or getting free baby gears from other parents. Join the mailing list at: studentparents - studentparents - info

If you know other resources for student-parent, please help each other by sharing it to this thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is also the Family Resource Center: Family Resources – UChicagoGRAD | The University of Chicago