[sg-gc ] Orientation Week Bar Crawl

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 9:34 AM
Subject: [sg-gc ] Fwd:
To: <sg-gc@lists.uchicago.edu>

Hi All,

My name is Annabeth Gellman and I’m the new Social Chair for Grad Council this year. I’m looking forward to meeting you all in the coming weeks. As some of you may have seen on Facebook, we are hosting an Orientation Week Bar Crawl next week. Would you mind please forwarding the details below the line to your respective departments? Thank you very much!

Best,

Annabeth

GC Bar Crawl Calendar Event
Bar Crawl Facebook Event
Learn more about Grad Council on our website: https://gc.uchicago.edu/

I actually haven’t seen this on Facebook. Maybe I’m not friends with the right people?

Is there a GC social e-mail I should be on?

So you see how currently @grad-council has no good way to publicize an event meant for the whole grad community?

I think you are already on the right platform, we just need to convince GC and generally grad students to use it.

To answer your question more fairly, I am aware of a gc.community mailing list that I believe @ewatkins had set up last year. But it looks like @annabeth.gellman sent that email out to the [sg-gc] mailist list meant for GC executives and representatives.

(IMHO none of those solutions are perfect, one relies on email spam (especially if people have questions about the events) and the second relies on so many representatives to be actually responsible (and more importantly empowered to be able to distribute a message to their constituents). I am going to continue improving this platform in my limited capacity, but without a central organization helping out, this solution (Discourse) will die out overtime)

GC has a facebook presence at https://www.facebook.com/UCGradCouncil/ and event calendar at Events — Graduate Council
Unfortunately there’s no grad wide email service we can use so we rely upon a chained distribution and the grad newsletter, summer can be particularly bad for that though.
The community mailing list is an opt in list for more frequent emails about smaller scale events that get run.

1 Like