Discourse for CS, vote on your favorite destination URL!

Do people want to vote on which subdomain they prefer the most for Discourse for CS dept (I am working with techstaff to get it deployed):

• community.cs.uchicago.edu
  • forum.cs.uchicago.edu
  • talk.cs.uchicago.edu
  • discuss.cs.uchicago.edu
  • discourse.cs.uchicago.edu

0 voters

Happy to answer any questions, please ask away.

why move from this discourse instance?

Good question @riza!

This instance was aimed at bringing the whole graduate student community of UChicago together but after talking to a lot of stakeholders and spending enough time on this project, I have come to realize that UChicago is not ready for this.

Further, as I mentioned in the previous town hall meeting, our Slack is not sufficient for important discussion/decision making and our long term institutional memory needs and I have come to the conclusion with help with others in @the-ministry that having a Discourse instance dedicated for CS will be a good solution.

Specifically, this instance is running on my own desktop machine, so a lot of people have concerns that I will become a bottleneck or single source of failure in maintaining it, so I want to make sure we get it deployed on a VM maintained by techstaff. I will certainly make sure that all the accounts/topics that were created here are migrated and that CS folks can login using university CNetID instead of needing to enter custom usernames and passwords.

Happy to answer other questions.